Instructions On Garbage Disposal Repair
--Or--
What To Do When Your Husband Is Gone for the Summer and You Have Seven Kids in Your Care and the Garbage Disposal Doesn't Work
(Yes, that's right--seven kids. That includes my five, plus my niece and nephew, who were staying here for the week. It's been a zoo.)
Step One: Flip the on/off switch a few times.
Step Two: Push the little red reset button at the bottom of the disposal three or four times.
Step Four: Google "garbage disposal repair" and read four articles on the topic. Determine that it's an easy fix, and you can do it yourself.
Step Five: Go check the circuit breaker.
Step Five: Go check the circuit breaker.
Step Six: Dig in husband's tool drawers to find the allen wrench in order to start the de-jamming process.
Step Seven: Pause in awe of yourself for knowing what an allen wrench looks like.Step Eight: Try to figure out how to unplug the disposal before beginning repair process.
Step Nine: Get really frustrated with how simple this should be and how dumb you feel.
Step Ten: Get out broom from the pantry.
Step Eleven: Ram broom handle down the disposal and jerk it around inside for a few angry moments.
Step Twelve: Flip the switch again.
Step Thirteen: Listen to the delightful sound of a garbage disposal properly grinding up its conents.

7 comments:
Freakin' Hilarious!!! Steps 3 and 7 are my personal favorites. Elysa and I hope things at the "zoo" calm down soon.
How funny! Our garbage disposal went out yesterday too! I did all steps up until the broom handle and then called the maintenance guy. We're getting a new one tomorrow. I guess there are a few perks to living in apartments, even if it is on the third floor.
I am thoroughly impressed - not just by the disposal repair, but the fact that you are juggling seven children in your care! Way to stay cool!
Way to go Jen! What a "Handy Woman" you are!!!
I smile every time I read this/think about what you wrote - Great job!! :)
I have a window that needs repaired... any tips from Sis. HomeGuru? ;)
Love you!
Jen, well-written as always. I'm glad you disposal is working again and that your house is back "down" to 5 kids in your care. Seriously, how do you do it all?
Atta girl, Jen! You really CAN do it all!
I cannot wait to see you! One week, one week! Hooray!
Post a Comment